Thursday, March 29, 2007

How to cut pieces for paper pieced quilts


I'm so excited! I've just returned from a stitches and craft fair and my mind is a buzz with lots of new projects in mind. My main problem is working out how to double the hours in a day so that I will have time to sew and create them all.

One of my exciting finds was a pack of pre-cut 1/4" hexagon paper templates. Yes...they are tiny and very cute. I can't wait to start piecing them together as a miniature quilt for my daughter's dolls house.

The production of pre-cut paper piecing templates has made the process of paper piecing much quicker. Instead of tracing your templates individually they can be purchased in packs of 100 which saves a lot of fiddling around. And you can reuse them many times over.

All you have to do is cut out your fabric approximately 1/4" from the template edge, fold your fabric over the template and start tacking around the outside edge by hand. It is not necessary to use a rotary cutter and ruler to cut out your fabric, cutting with a sharp pair of scissors is fine because the seam allowance does not have to be exact as in machine piecing.

Folding the corners however can be tricky. If you would like to see some diagrams explaining this process click on the link here. http://www.stitchingcow.com/paper-piecing.htm

Hope this information has helped you ...I must go I have some paper piecing to get started!

Happy stitching.
Warmly Lenna






No comments:

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails